Thursday, May 6, 2010

Being an Empath

Image by magstefan



An empath is a person who actually feels the emotions and/or the physical pains of others. This is not a case of being sensitive to other people's feelings, mind you, but actually experiencing these feelings as your own.

And being an empath can be quite overwhelming, especially if you don't realize that you are an empath. Such was the case with me, until quite recently.

All of my life, I've been labeled as being "overly sensitive." My mother used to taunt me with the accusation that I wear my heart on my sleeve. I have always been fairly moody and my moods change depending upon the moods of those around me. In many ways, my entire personality is based upon the moods, reactions, and opinions of others.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I have suffered from panic attacks all of my life, panic attacks that are (no doubt) caused by my absorbing the sometimes frenetic and anxious energy of others.

Anyway...

I came across an interested video clip describing some of the traits of an empath along with some suggestions on how to minimize absorbing other people's energy. Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment