Thursday, August 11, 2011

Is Oprah Winfrey the Antichrist?



I was surfing YouTube one day, when I came across many unexpected (and even scary) videos…

Oprah Winfrey, many Christian ministers claim, is the Antichrist…or Satan’s pawn…or demon possessed.

Why?
Because Oprah has openly denied Christ as the one and only way to obtain salvation.

I watched a few of these videos like the one above, and I must say that I was scared of Oprah and her New Age teachings. How dare this prominent and very influential woman lead people to hell?

But then I remembered something…I believe the same way! Was I going to hell? I began to doubt myself, began to feel ashamed of my belief system. Dammit, I shook myself, why can’t we all just get along? Why can’t we just accept each others’ religious or spiritual belief systems? Why do we Christians have to believe that Jesus is the only way to God?
Because the New Testament of the Bible tells us so, that’s why.

A Christian New Ager
My initial response to Oprah Winfrey being the Antichrist because of her New Age beliefs had been but a reflex action that had come from my Baptist Christian roots.   

As a child, I went to church regularly. I can still recite from memory many Bible passages. But I soon realized that there was something missing. The Bible wasn’t telling us everything about Jesus and his teachings.
Through much study and contemplation, I finally realized that the Bible that we read today was skillfully compiled by men with a political and religious agenda. Important and enlightening books were left out of the Bible, some of these books were part of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The books that were left (to be included in the Bible) were subject to massive revision of verses in order to get them to follow a prescribed belief system. Then, the New Testament was written in Hebrew or Aramaic, so mistranslations of these ancient books abound in the Bibles that we read today.

And if that weren’t enough to shake one’s faith in the veracity of the Bible, consider this:
The four books of the Bible that talks about Jesus’ life and his teachings—the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John—debate whether or not any of these authors ever knew Jesus or knew anyone who actually knew Jesus.

My Belief in Jesus
I consider myself a Christian with a love of, and a belief, in Jesus. But from there, my beliefs diverge  quite a bit from those of traditional Christians.

Here’s what I believe about Jesus:

·         I believe that Jesus was a highly evolved, enlightened being who came to earth to teach enlightenment to humans.

·         I believe that Jesus came to teach us how much power we have, that we are co-creators with God:

o   The Kingdom of God is within you – Luke 17:21

o   If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. – Matthew 17:19-21

o   Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. – Matthew 15:28

·         I believe that when Jesus spoke of himself as the Son of God, he was not speaking of himself as the unique son of God. Rather, he was speaking of himself as the son of God just as all of us are children of God.

·         I believe that Jesus did not intend to start a religion. But the people who heard Jesus’ teachings and witnessed his miracles were understandably awed enough to construct a religion around him.
Yes, I am well aware of the Bible’s warning about false prophets who will turn us from Jesus whereby we will be cast into the Lake of Fire. Is Oprah Winfrey one of these false prophets, the Antichrist? I don’t believe so. I believe that she has woken up from the same religious dogma that has caused so much negative judgments of others’ lifestyles and beliefs, the same religious dogma that has caused so much hatred, which has started so many wars and caused so many deaths.

As for myself, I cannot believe in a vengeful God who also loves us, nor can I believe in an egotistic Jesus who demands that we can only be saved through him.
What do you believe?





No comments:

Post a Comment