Sunday, September 11, 2011

Trusting in the Safety of the Universe


When things go wrong in your life, what is the first thing you do?
If you’re like most people, you try to fix it. Your mind runs a mile a minute (depending upon how desperate you are) trying to figure out how you can get yourself out of this mess. But the more you think, the more worried you get. The more worried you get, the worse things get.

So what is the alternative?

You should,
Let go and let God.

I know that’s not easy to do. It might help if you look at your seeming misfortune as God’s plan, which is opening the way for something better to come into your life. The truth is that we don’t know enough to be discouraged about anything. The Universe knows what it’s doing. Our job is to be open and accepting—and even grateful—for whatever comes into our lives.
At a Crossroads

I’m not just babbling things I know nothing about. I’m at a crossroads right now and I have absolutely no idea what the future holds. Nor am I necessarily setting plans. Instead, I am consciously letting God lead me.
Here’s what happened…

Last week, I took 6 weeks medical leave from work because of my migraine disorder. If I get short term disability, it will only be for 2 weeks at 100 percent of my pay plus 1 week of vacation. Then it will drop to 60 percent of my pay. If my migraine disorder doesn’t get better soon, this will be a big financial crunch.

Then, shortly after taking leave, the finance company repossessed my car. I had no idea my car, which I’ve had for over 6 years, was so close to being repossessed. So now I have no car and no money ($1400 to get my car back) or to buy an old used one.

What was my reaction to the repossession? Surprisingly, not what you’d think. I was shocked at first (of course) and then a curious sense of freedom came over me. Space opened up inside of me for something new, both in vehicles and possibly even in careers. I see this as a sign from God, as part of God’s greater plan for my life.
A week after the repossession, I am still relatively calm about the whole thing. But when fears start coming in or my mind starts chattering “what ifs” about every fearful scenario, I close my eyes and silently say my favorite bible verse:

Be still and know that I am God. – Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment